As the costs of health care continue to increase, BBG understands that employers and employees are searching for ways to keep these costs under control and as manageable as possible. Research suggests that employers who achieve the lowest overall health costs make employee health their first priority. The challenge we often see is that employers do not know where to start, what resources are available, how to engage their employees and how they can validate any program results.
Healthy employees, healthy bottom line
Employees are beginning to focus on being fit and interest in workplace wellness programs will increase. By capitalizing on this momentum, employers offering access to wellness programs can empower their employees to take control of their health and reduce their need for medical treatment and medications.
Benefits of Offering a Wellness Program
Unhealthy behaviors among workers cost employers an average of $670 per employee annually, according to the 2011 Thomson Reuters Workplace Wellness Index (PDF). There is evidence that healthier lifestyles among employees can also prove to be a plus for employers. A well-executed program can accomplish the following:
- Reduce health care costs. As reported by Forbes.com, a $1 investment in wellness programs saves $3 in health care costs, according to research by the Wellness Council of America.
- Increase productivity. In a recent study released by The Principal Financial Group, many workers said that as a direct result of their employers’ wellness programs, they felt motivated to work harder and perform better (43 percent of employees), missed fewer days of work (28 percent) and experienced improved energy and productivity at work (38 percent).
- Increase employee retention. Providing further support for the correlation between personal health and job satisfaction, 48 percent of workers in The Principal Financial Group study agreed that wellness benefits encourage them to stay in their current employment situation.
BBG’s Wellness Coordination Services
Human resource professionals can and should play a key role in designing and managing workplace wellness programs. As your benefits partner, the Business Benefits Group is (company)’s partner in creating a culture of wellness, by providing you with the latest and most comprehensive information available. A sampling of our Wellness Coordination Services includes:
- Advocating for the establishment of such programs to achieve strategic objectives.
- Health fair coordination.
- Assessing wellness program options.
- Enlisting the help of experts when and where needed.
- Communication assistance on company’s wellness program components to encourage and increase participation in such programs.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of workplace wellness programs.
- Monitoring changes in the law and in the global employment environment relative to wellness programs.
- Making recommendations for and implementing improvements in wellness programs.
Wellness Solutions Documentation
Below are materials that will assist in gauging employee interest and information to substantiate the need for implementing a workplace wellness program. BBG looks forward to speaking with you further and strategizing on a healthier 2013 for your employees as well as your bottom line! For more information, please contact:firstname.lastname@example.org.